Looking for a great birthday game for a 9 to 12 year old girl birthday party? Recently, my daughter celebrated a birthday and in the winter, the majority of the party was indoors. They did the sledding for a while and then when they got too cold, the excited tweens came into the house looking for something fun to do. Anticipating this, we planned a great tween birthday party game — a kooky hat exchange! The 10-year-old girls had a great time and their party favors were immediately taken care of! We also got some great birthday party pictures of them in their crazy hats!
Rules for a Kooky Hat Exchange
In this tween girl birthday party game, everyone will get one crazy hat. Here are the steps and rules for the kooky hat exchange:
1. Get a kooky hat for each girl at the local party store and place them into separate gift bags.
2. Write the numbers 1 through the number of guests you will have on little sheets of paper.
3. Have the girls blindly select a number from a hat.
4. The birthday guest with number 1 goes first and picks a gift bag. She opens it and places her hat on her head.
5. The birthday guest with number 2 goes next. She decides if she wants the hat already opened (on #1’s head) or to open a new bag.
6. If #2 takes the hat, #1 must then pick a new bag. Both girls should now be wearing their crazy hats.
7. This repeats until all guests have a hat.
8. The tween guest with #1 then gets to swap hats with any of the other hats.
Variation - The Extra Hat
If there is an extra gift bag/hat because a guest couldn’t make it, have a vote at the end. The tween with the “worst” or “lamest” hat gets the leftover gift bag, in essence winning a consolation hat.
Try this great tween birthday game at your daughter’s next birthday party for a guaranteed good time!